chirbi

Shiver
Maggie Stiefvater
Beauty Queens
Libba Bray
Tell the Wolves I'm Home - Carol Rifka Brunt This book does an excellent job of weaving together different family dynamics. Sisters and parents and an out of place uncle, they're all trying to get along. However, something bothered me.June was interesting. I liked June. But I couldn't help but feel there was so much more to this story outside of her scope. The story is told from her POV, so that's all we get, her point of view. So I can't help but wish the author had gone in a different direction.Finn and his sister's story. Finn and Toby's story. I wanted more of that. The lack of depth outside of June's world made it feel like AIDs and dealing with homosexuality was just a backdrop for June's growth as a young adult, and that bugged me. It cheapened my experience with the book and Finn (as well as Toby) ended up feeling like a prop used for June's own self discovery.Also, I get it's a story set in a time where there was shit all you could do in regards to AIDs, but I'm tired of stories about dead gay men. Especially when their death is being used as a catalyst for a straight protagonist.I did cry at the end, which is rare for me, but I'm still really disappointed with this book.